Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Family, Food and Fun!

             This weekend was a great time to enjoy being with family, eat some great food, and just relax and have fun.  It was jam packed with fun shopping and my new favorite dessert.  We went to Chapin Friday night to cook my mom a birthday dinner.  I am so proud of the weight she has already lost over the past few months, so we got grass fed steak for her birthday dinner.  Man do I love some Grass Fed Steak...delish!!!  It was so nice to relax by the fire and enjoy each other's company.
              Saturday, I went shopping with my mom and sister.  We had such a blast.  First, we went to Starbucks, and we got skinny vanilla lattes.  These have changed my life...haha  but seriously they are amazing and you don't feel guilty drinking them.  
            As we walked out of the Starbucks, we noticed a setup for the American Heart Association.  It was a display with stations that had a variety of things to learn about keeping your heart healthy.  There were stations with giveaways and door prizes to sign up for.  One station had a variety of heart healthy recipes.  The last station we stopped at was the BMI and body fat station.  They tested your Body Fat and BMI to tell us what our ranges were. 
             I was so excited to see such a great set up in the mall.  I feel like sometimes people get so caught up in actually losing weight that they forget that the most important thing is to keep your body healthy.  I also think that there is not enough support and encouragement for people to live healthier.  Needless to stay, I was so excited to see such a great display for health awareness.
                               The stations were around the setup displayed above.

                  After a great day of shopping with the girls, I came home to a beautiful view of Lake Murray from the back porch.  Wow what a view... I just love this!




Now to a great recipe I made for my cousin's baptism...Apple Crisp!
I love this recipe because it is quick, easy, and healthier for you than most desserts. I had already decided to make it for my cousin's lunch after her baptism and then it was posted on one of my new favorite blogs 
Carrots n cake.  I did a little different oatmeal twist and based my recipe on  this apple crisp recipe.  I made the recipe for a bigger pan since we would be having a lot of people for the baptism.                                   


           These are the only ingredients.  I tried to hide the butter, because I am not a fan.  I have recently found that is is better to have some butter and sugar in a dessert so that one serving satisfies me.  I have learned that replacing with applesauce or other healthier replacing options just leaves me wanting more.                      
           To make the Apple Crisp heat the oven 350 degrees.  Dice up about 8 apples and spread the across a 9x11 pan.  Pour a little water in the bottom.  This helps get the apples a little mushy so they melt in your mouth.  Next, mix 1 1/3 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of oats, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, a stick of butter softened , and a tablespoon of cinnamon.   Mix this together and pour it over the top of the apples.  After, I added more cinnamon and I poured a little melted butter over the top to get it crispy.  It cooked for about 45 minutes.  The Apple Crisp is even better when you make it the night before and it can blend together overnight.                                                                                                                                         
                                                 
                                                  What is your favorite dessert right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment